Friday, July 13, 2012

Raising Girls

My sweet girls
Recently, my hubby sent me this article from Forbes, "7 Ways You're Hurting Your Daughter's Future."  Since we have two daughters and Jason rarely sends me articles, I figured it was probably pretty good.  It took me awhile to get to it, but when I finally did, I was glad.

Upon reading the title, I thought "great, more guilt about how we are f*&$ing up our daughters." But, I was fairly ok with how it was presented and actually agreed with most of it.

I tend to consider myself liberal and definitely a "strong woman," who intends to raise daughters who are confident, non-sexist women who know they can do ANYTHING.  So, some of the tips were already on my mind.  But, #7 "You criticize your own body, and/or other women’s bodies" definitely hit a cord with me.  We, as moms, do have to be careful about how we act in front of our children (boys or girls), especially when it comes to our own body image and that of others around us.  The hope I found in this article -- what we model for our kids does matter, so all this effort should get us somewhere:) 

I'm going to keep this article handy, just like I keep the prayer for your daughter from Tina Fey's Bossy Pants (love it!) close by.  You always need a good laugh and a reality check! 

And for the record, my Disney Princess financial twin (#4) is Ariel, who are you?  Take the quiz here.

No comments:

Post a Comment