So as we head into July 4, I remember that two years ago, I had a much different experience in Hilton Head with my family (we go every year for July 4 with my parents and brother and his fam). One in which I learned many lessons.
As I started writing this, I stumbled upon notes I wrote around that time. It must have been “one of those days” when I just needed a reminder of how lucky I am.
The biggest lesson…take my time. Why? Because when I fell I was rushing, not holding on to anything, going too fast. And honestly, most times I hurt myself that is exactly what is going on. So, when I feel that overwhelmed feeling come over me and I start rushing to get out the door or finish something right away, I think, “take your time, remember the hard lesson and slow down.”
While summer is fun and crazy, I hope you will take your time, too. Because I have found that taking my time has also allowed me to participate more in my life, to spend time with Sydney, to have more fun! What about you?
Today, it feels really good to reflect on what I learned:
• You can (and need to) ask for help
• Remember the pain, so when you are well, you are thankful
• Be thankful for the ability to: walk up stairs, not use crutches to get to the bathroom in the middle of the night, carry my child, cook, go for a walk, ride a bike, go to the playground, drive a car by yourself
• Appreciate those who love you unconditionally, like my husband, mother, MIL, friends who take you places because you can’t, sisters and brothers
• Some things just aren't that important -- know which ones are
What has helped you learn a hard lesson? I would love to hear it! Happy 4th!
1 hour ago