Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Car



I was talking to a good friend this morning while I was driving (don't worry, using the ear piece) and found it hysterical that we both agreed that it is one of the only times you can actually talk in peace and quiet when you have kids. Yes, we have resorted to the car. The one place where you can truly be alone, they can't chase you, knock on the door, scream until you pick them up…if they aren't in it with you, it is actually the most quiet time of the day. Most days now, I don't even listen to the radio in the car. I just sit. I try to just be. Clear my head and say to myself "listen, do you hear that?" "Sure do, it's the gift of silence for 5, 10, 20 minutes."


Sometimes I use this time to catch up with good friends, family and colleagues, as I did today. And that makes me happy, too. But most of the time, I try to treasure that time.


In fact, just a week or so ago, Jason and I got in the car together in a rare occasion where we had a babysitter. As we drove off, I said to him, "do you hear that? Silence. We can actually focus and have a conversation." That's why this morning when my friend said, "is this a good time?" I said, "heck yeah, it's some of the only time I can actually talk." And to my utter enjoyment she told me about her two hour commute last week in the snow (she lives in the North) and just how wonderful it was because 1) she was out of the house after days of snow and 2) she was alone in silence. Who would have ever thought that we would brag about, even "enjoy" two hour commutes? If you have children, you understand and know why the car can be such a wonderful place now. So, go enjoy your time in the car!

No comments:

Post a Comment